Re: Editing exportet registry files

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Editing exportet registry files
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:02:44 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> Thank you all very much for your help.  With the given information and the
> Emacs
> ducumentation I have now added the following lines to my .emacs file, which
> makes editing exportet registry files less painfull:
>
> (setq file-coding-system-alist
>       (append '(("\\.reg\\'" . utf-16le-with-signature))
>               file-coding-system-alist))

Great! I have wondered how to do this and have been too lazy to find
out myself... :)

A comment, and I really do not want to troll here:

Why cannot Emacs handle this automatically? I mean, it already handles
LF vs CR + LF issues when I open text files encoded using either
format. Are there any drawbacks trying to "guess" more than what is
already done?