Re: Custom themes

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Custom themes
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:49:16 -0400

    It seems impossible to figure out what custom-do-theme-reset is really
    _trying_ to do

You said it resets all themes.  That sounds like a good definition.
Please take that as the purpose of the function.

    What the function apparently wants to do is "exactly the same thing as
    what the XEmacs function does, whatever that is".

It makes no difference what the "function apparently wants to do".
You have a clear purpose in mind.  Make the code fit that purpose, and
it will work.  There is no need to worry about former confused ideas
that you have replaced with a clear idea.

    The situation with Custom themes is a lot worse that I thought
    yesterday.  I discovered two new bugs, one so serious that it makes
    the Custom themes feature unusable.

Would you please report them (or, even better, fix them)?

    Repairing and debugging the themes code means correcting the porting
    errors and finishing off the porting task.  I never used XEmacs, I do
    not have it installed.

It is not necessary to know anything about XEmacs to make this code
work.