Re: Bad Protocol request 77

From: jhd
Subject: Re: Bad Protocol request 77
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:05:03 +0200

My Emacs is crashing in Gnus when displaying some articles.
I haven't been able to get a reliable recipe yet, but basically I get
a backtrace as shown in the appended session.
The first backtrace is with x-synchronize turned off, the second is with
x-synchronize turned on.

Could give me some hint what I should be looking at?
In the mean time, I'll try to get a reliably reproducible recipe.

        Stefan

(gdb) bt
#0 x_error_quitter (display=0xbfffce30, error=0xbfffcd00) at xterm.c:7788 #1 0x0810175c in x_error_handler (display=0x8714568, error=0xbfffcd00) at xterm.c:7753
#2  0xb7ddf624 in _XError () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6

Can you print out the error string (error parameter to x_error_handler)? 77 is just XDrawImageString16 which is in the second backtrace as expected. But it can generate different errors. I think it is a BadMatch, which usually indicates bad input to XDrawImageString16. You should be able to walk up to the stack frame that calls XDrawImageString16 and examine the input.

    Jan D.