Re: Shift Tab should move backward in help buffers

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Shift Tab should move backward in help buffers
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:29:23 -0400

    The code which sets up the escape mappings for those terminals could
    set up an explicit direct mapping for "escape-sequence -> backtab"
    (bypassing the S-tab step) couldn't they?

I think so.  In effect, this would mean deciding that Emacs should
always deal with backtab, never with S-tab.  (We would want
function-key-map to map S-tab into backtab also, to ensure that this
is true even on systems that produce S-tab directly.)

That could be part of the solution to this problem.

Stefan wrote:

    Except that it would not correctly handle the case where the user has bound
    S-tab to something.

That is true, but we'd just tell the users that nowadays they
should bind backtab because Emacs no longer uses S-tab.