Re: foreground menu bug

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: foreground menu bug
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:18:55 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     Also, what does a disabled menu item tell the user? He might not
>     understand that it is because font lock is enabled. He might wonder if
>     he is doing something wrong seeing that menu item disabled.
>
> This makes no sense.  Menu items are disabled when they are not
> applicable; users know that.

You are right, that did not make much sense. I guess what I meant was
that when the user sees a disabled menu item, he does not necessarily
understand *why* it is disabled and how to enable it (in this case
disable font lock). I suggest documenting this in some place so that
he can find out why it is disabled and how to enable it.

>     Assuming the user notices that we disabled the menu item, your fix
>     might work. What about users who use M-x apropos or similar to find
>     commands and then used enter the commands with M-x, how would they
>     know that this comment is currently "disabled", or not meant to be
>     used?
>
> It might be a good idea to do that in addition.  What do you think
> of this patch?
>
> *** facemenu.el       27 Jun 2005 16:24:59 -0400      1.79
> --- facemenu.el       27 Jun 2005 22:24:24 -0400

I think it looks good. That message would have helped me.