Re: Downloading with Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Downloading with Emacs
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:52:35 -0400

>> I just tried
>>
>> (url-dl-download "http://purl.org/harder/dpans.html";
>> "/usr/local/src/"                     nil
>> "Common_Lisp.texi")
>>
>> and received this error message:
>>
>> error in process filter: progn:    Opening output file: no such file or
>> directory,
>> /home/bob/emacs-21/http:/www.ifa.au.dk/~harder/dpans.html-h.txt
>>
>> I also tried the command replacing the nil argument with "" but the
>> expression also failed.
>>
>> What should I do?
>>

> Could not avoid testing. I believe it is a bug in the
> url.el -libraries. There is a callback telling a redirection was
> done. I recieve this instead of the one I should get when the download
> has finished.

I assume you use url-retrieve-synchronously or url-insert-file-contents.
For user-level use, I use url-handler-mode so that I can just do
C-x C-f http://foo/bar RET

Note that a "fix" in the area of http redirection was installed recently,
so maybe the bug you see was fixed, or maybe the fix introduced another bug
you're experiencing.

> Is there anyone who understands those libraries?

I don't understand URL, really, but I have worked on it a tiny bit.

        Stefan