Re: Documentation not clear for the Lisp function set-variable

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Documentation not clear for the Lisp function set-variable
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:49:14 -0500 (CDT)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

   This patch produces the following text:

      Determined by whether the first character of the documentation
     for the variable is `*', the variable is customizable (has a non-nil
     value of `standard-value' or of `custom-autoload' on its property list),
     or it is a non-obsolete alias for another user variable.

   Does anyone else think that this sentence is so confusing in its
   structure as to be almost unparsable?  (The old sentence was even less
   clear.)

I believe that it is also incorrect.  I believe that we decided that a
variable was customizable if either its docstring starts with `*' or
it is defined with defcustom.

Unless I misunderstood or misremember, we decided that `*' was no
lomger necessary for variables defined with defcustom.

Sincerely,

Luc.