Re: minibuffer and scroll-conservatively

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: minibuffer and scroll-conservatively
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:29:08 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     Start todays emacs with -Q and set scroll-conservatively to some
>     non-zero number, say 1.
>     Then type eg. M-x  ABC. Now the minibuffer shows "M-x ABC" as expected.
>     But if you type the Danish character A-ring (a capital A with a ring
>     above) everything seems to disappear from the minibuffer.
>
> I tried this under X, using the Emacs input method Latin-1-Postfix to
> insert the Å, and the failure happened.  What occurred was that the
> minibuffer contents all scrolled off the top of the window.
>
> I think the reason for this is that the Å character is taller than
> ordinary letters; taller, in fact, than the height of the window.
> I think this confuses scrolling calculations so that they believe
> that character doesn't fit on the screen while allowing point
> to be visible.
>
> Kim, could you investigate this and fix it?

Can you try this patch, to see if the result is acceptable...

There are still problems: If I enter M-x ABÅjg, the result is not
perfect -- but what's the alternative?

*** xdisp.c     26 Jun 2005 23:25:32 +0200      1.1028
--- xdisp.c     27 Jun 2005 12:24:09 +0200
***************
*** 11294,11300 ****
    window_height = window_box_height (w);
    if (row->height >= window_height)
      {
!       if (!force_p || w->vscroll)
        return 1;
      }
    return 0;
--- 11294,11300 ----
    window_height = window_box_height (w);
    if (row->height >= window_height)
      {
!       if (!force_p || MINI_WINDOW_P (w) || w->vscroll)
        return 1;
      }
    return 0;
***************
*** 12729,12735 ****
      }

    /* Don't let the cursor end in the scroll margins.  */
!   if (check_margins)
      {
        int this_scroll_margin, cursor_height;

--- 12729,12736 ----
      }

    /* Don't let the cursor end in the scroll margins.  */
!   if (check_margins
!       && !MINI_WINDOW_P (w))
      {
        int this_scroll_margin, cursor_height;