Re: GC

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GC
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:48:39 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, Juri Linkov
> <address@hidden>,
>         address@hidden
> From: address@hidden (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Ga=EBtan?= LEURENT)
> Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:10:49 +0200
>

> Miles Bader wrote on 25 Jun 2005 14:15:19 +0200:
>
> > Yes I think that would be a good idea.  Setting the cons-threshold to
> > say 1 or 2% of RAM size would yield roughly the numbers which are
> > being recommended (at 1%, you'd get 640K on a 64MB system, and 5MB on
> > a 512MB system).
>
> This is maybe not a good idea for people who runs emacs on a big server
> with a lot a memory and a lot of users

The threshold will still be customizable.  Defaults are for the
frequent situations, they aren't supposed to cover all of them.

> (my emacs is running on a server
> with 8Gb of RAM -- 66 users are currently using it --, but wasting 80Mo
> between each GC doesn't seem very smart)

The default value of the GC threshold should probably be limited
anyway, using a fixed percent on large systems might hit some quota,
and even if it doesn't, it's not a good idea to have it grow linearly.