Re: fringe buffer-boundary bitmaps

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: fringe buffer-boundary bitmaps
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 01:36:00 -0400

    > indicate-buffer-boundaries would be the place to specify this.

    I don't see why the mapping should be restricted to just the bitmaps
    used for buffer boundaries ?

As far as I know, these bitmaps are used in two ways.   You can specify
them by name, in a display property, and certain fixed bitmap names
are used for specific standard purposes.

In the case of the display property, you can give the bitmap any name
you like; the display property specifies which name to use.

My proposal is to create a similar level of specifying the name for
the specific standard purposes.