Re: Scroll lock

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Scroll lock
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:45:18 +0200

* Richard M. Stallman (2005-06-23) writes:

> Forgive me, but previously you said the main point was to change
> *scrolling* commands.  Now you say that the main point is something
> else.  I do not follow you any more.

In my original mail I used the term "vertical motion".  I thought this
covered both scrolling commands as well as commands for vertically
moving point.  Sorry if this was not clear enough.

The mode does two things: First, it fixes point at its vertical
position during scrolling and second, it turns commands for vertically
moving point by lines or paragraphs into commands which scroll the
buffer by the respective amount.  This results in a more pager- or
browser-like (as Miles put it) behavior.  Like this it becomes very
easy to incrementally scroll the buffer up or down.

I hope this description makes it clearer.  In case it doesn't, maybe
you could activate the mode with `M-x scroll-lock-mode RET' and type
`C-p' or `C-n'.  This should show you immediately what it is supposed
to do.

--
Ralf