Re: Scroll lock

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Scroll lock
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:56:13 +0200

* Richard M. Stallman (2005-06-22) writes:

> It seems like a feature worth adding.  However, is it really right
> to modify next-line?  It is not a scroll command.

This is the main point of the mode.  It should make moving in buffers
more pager-like.  For example, in `less' the keys `C-n' and `C-p' will
scroll the buffer, not move point.  That means such a mode could also
improve convenience of browsing manual pages with WoMan or info pages
with the built-in info reader.

Regarding the implementation: If people think it is sensible to extend
the meaning of `scroll-preserve-screen-position' to any kind of scroll
events, I could prepare a patch covering the changes in window.c as
well.

--
Ralf