Re: In FOR-RELEASE

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: In FOR-RELEASE
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:08:33 +0200

On Fri, Jun 17 2005, Richard Stallman wrote:

> FOR-RELEASE mentiones these bugs:
>
>     ** Investigate reported crashes in compact_small_strings.
>
>     ** Investigate reported crashes related to using an
>     invalid pointer from string_free_list.
>
> They were reported a long time ago, before we realized it was a good
> idea to copy the actual bug reports there.  They have not been
> reported recently that I recall.  Does anyone recall seeing such
> bugs recently?
>
> Is there any reason to think they are fixed already?
>
> Could someone possibly search for these bug reports,
> see who reported them, etc?

I've submitted a bug report concerning compact_small_strings:

,----[ http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs/3866 ]
| From: Reiner Steib <address@hidden>
| Subject: redisplay problem (compact_small_strings)
| To: address@hidden
| Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:35:03 +0200
`----

This problem was solved later, IIRC.  I didn't see this problem in the
last months.

A different one concerning compact_small_strings was:

,----[ http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs/4371 ]
| From: Stephen Eglen <address@hidden>
| Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs
| Subject: seg fault in compact_small_strings()
| Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:49:55 +0100
| To: address@hidden
`----

Kim F. Storm sent a patch and Stephen Eglen posted a different
backtrace.

Some search results for compact_small_strings on emacs-devel are:

| From: Kim F. Storm <address@hidden>
| Subject: Fix to long-standing crashes in GC
| To: address@hidden
| Date: 2004-05-12 13:19:54 GMT