Re: tooltip-use-echo-area disappeared

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: tooltip-use-echo-area disappeared
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 20:29:45 +1200

Eli Zaretskii writes:
 > IMHO, we should rather implement the functionality that somehow isn't
 > there (although I could probably swear I've seen it in action, at
 > least in NTEmacs circa 21.1) which allows the user to select one of 3
 > behaviors:
 >
 >   (1) tooltips popping up in small windows
 >   (2) tooltip text displayed in the echo area
 >   (3) tooltips completely disabled
 >
 > (1) should be (and is) the default on graphical displays, (2) should
 > be the default on character terminals.

Features like tooltips and mouse-face don't work on a character terminal
because currently Emacs doesn't know where the mouse is between clicks. A
daemon program like X is needed. GPM could possibly do this on a Linux
console.

I don't find help text in the echo area very distracting and I'm not sure if
anyone would find a need to turn it off (option 3), but if someone wants to
implement it then tooltip-use-echo-area would have more logic.

Nick