Re: enriched-mode problems

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: enriched-mode problems
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 00:07:57 -0400

    I've got the same problem with auto-fill sometimes.  I switch that
    mode on with text-mode-hook.  When I visit a text file that has "mode:
    auto-fill", it is effectively turned off.  Maybe we should do
    (some-minor-mode 1) for "mode: some-minor-mode" constructs.

That would be hard, since the code doesn't know whether the mode
is a minor or major mode.  But worse than that, it is misguided.

It would be a mistake to try to make this "work", since it is
misguided ayway.  Minor modes such as auto-fill mode are personal
choices; files should not specify them at all.

It might be useful to find a way to arrange a warning when files use
Mode: or -*-...-*- to specify minor modes.