RE: mouse-1-click-follows-link

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: mouse-1-click-follows-link
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:42:40 -0700

    > 1. Users should be able to have different behaviors in
         different buffers, in this regard.

    I think this should clearly be global-only.  It's important for
    things to
    be predictable by a normal user who can't remember which mode does what
    because she doesn't spend 25hours per day in Emacs.

But in a different email, you also wrote:

    I think the mouse-1-clock-follows-link behavior should be used
    (by default)
    at most at a few well-tested placed.  E.g. custom (where it's already
    working this way in 21.4 AFAIK), help, info.  But not grep, not
    compile, ...

If it is to have different behavior in different places (even if only a few
well-tested ones), then how do you want to do that, without using local
values for mouse-1-click-follows-link? Hard-code the behavior? If so, how
would users override it?

If mouse-1 should, by default, follow links in some places (but not in
others), no matter how few, wouldn't using a local value for
mouse-1-click-follows-link be the best way to accomplish that?

IOW, you make two arguments, I think:

1) Let's have some, but not too many, places where mouse-1 follows links, by
default (because it needs to be predictable; it's hard to remember...).

2) mouse-1-click-follows-link should be global only.

I don't see that #1, by itself, supports #2. What is the reason for #2? Why
not implement #1 with local values?