Re: hidden buffers for async

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: hidden buffers for async
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:03:14 +0300

>> I agree that downloading a lot of files will be silly. Perhaps I will
>> set up a pool of 20 or so buffers for downloads and block or error
>> when the pool is exhausted.
>
> My guess is that the possible performance hit you'd get by using 100 or
> 1000 buffers would still be insignificant.
>
>         Stefan "whose Emacs routinely has 100 buffers"

M-: (length (buffer-list)) RET
322

I rarely close visited files and use desktop.el.  This way I give Emacs
pretty good stress-testing.  With so many buffers some Emacs packages
(Dired, Info) suffer from the noticeable slowdown.  However, I can't
definitely attribute this to the number of buffers, because in
`emacs -Q -D' after (dotimes (i 1000) (generate-new-buffer "buffer"))
there is no slowdown.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/