Re: Bad file dialog on W32 popped up by a click on C source

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bad file dialog on W32 popped up by a click on C source
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:09:41 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:36:12 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > "C-h f some-function RET" shows "C source file" for functions defined
> > in C.  If you click on the xref, and if the source files are not in
> > the place where Emacs expects to find them (e.g., if you removed the
> > source tree), Emacs pops up a file dialog asking you to find the
> > directory of the source file.
>
> I just get "find-function-C-source: The C source file w32fns.c is not
> available"

Strange...doesn't it pop the file selector for you?  Anyway, what you
get is not a good response, either, right?

> >   . it doesn't say what directory it is looking for and doesn't show
> >     me the name of the file, so I need to guess that it wants the src
> >     directory
>
> Seems like a problem with the prompt.

Well, the prompt actually says "Emacs C source dir:", so perhaps it's
okay (although maybe something like "Directory of fileio.c source
file" would be better).

> >   . if I select the src directory where the file lives and click Open,
> >     it errors out saying "Current Directory -- file not found"
>
> An Emacs error in the echo area, or a system error in a dialog?

The latter.  It pops a dialog saying

    Current Directory
    File not found
    Please verify the correct file name was given.

> If the latter then it is caused by the file-must-exist flag being set,
> which does not work for directories.

You mean the MUSTMATCH arg to x-file-dialog?  That is, should I change
the code so that this flag is ignored for directories?