Re: Info is slow in Emacs 22.0.50

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Info is slow in Emacs 22.0.50
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 12:47:24 -0400

> These results indicate that the main source of the slowdown is the
> menu items fontification code in `Info-fontify-node', and it is caused
> by a large amount of Info menu items needed to be processed.

While I still don't understand where the slowdown actually comes from
(e.g. why do 1559 calls to put-text-property take 0.01s with -Q -D but then
take 5.46s with a loaded .emacs?  Also more than half the elasped time is
unaccounted for in the profile of the pathological case), we can always try
and move some of Info-fontify-node into font-lock-keywords where jit-lock
should help us stay nice and responsive.

        Stefan