Re: emacs.exe --load FILE and current directory on w32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs.exe --load FILE and current directory on w32
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 08:26:46 +0300

> Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 23:58:24 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Richard Stallman wrote:
>
> >    Info says that the startup argujment load looks in the current directory
> >    for the file to load. That does not seem to be correct, at least not on
> > w32.
> >
> >Would you please provide a complete test case?
> >
> Yes, of course.
>
> *** If we have loadme.el:
> (message "I am loaded, thank you!")
> **********************
>
> This works:
>
>     emacs.exe -batch -no-site-file -q somefile.txt -l loadme.el
>     I am loaded, thank you!
>
> However when  somefile.txt is in another directory then it fails:
>
>     emacs.exe -batch -no-site-file -q ..\somefile.txt -l loadme.el
>     Cannot open load file: loadme.el

I get the same behavior on GNU/Linux, both with the current CVS and
with Emacs 21.3.

I think Emacs always behaved like that.  The manual is simplifying a
bit: you will see in startup.el that we try to find the file in the
_default_ directory; if we visited a file before processing -l, that
is no longer the current directory, but rather the directory of the
visited file.  I'm not sure this subtlety needs to be documented,
except, perhaps in a footnote.