Re: org-mode and mode hooks.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: org-mode and mode hooks.
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 09:54:26 -0500 (CDT)

   I am not sure what problems those are.  There were so many messages
   yesterday that just reading them would take a long time.  I hoped to
   bypass that job by asking you to summarize the result of all that
   discussion.

I thought I did that in the message prior to the one you responded to.
>From that message:

Other than that, the major remaining issue is that calling
font-lock-{add,remove}-keywords with nil for MODE only works reliably
for major modes that follow the new conventions.  But one of your
previous comments was:

         (Even in this case
       it is only likely to occur for major modes that do not follow the new
       conventions.)

   In that case, maybe it is a fine solution to tell people to fix their
   major modes.  Why go to a lot of trouble about broken major modes?

In addition to that, there would be a problem with major modes that do
follow the conventions but call font-lock-{add,remove}-keywords with
nil for MODE in their body instead of their hook.  Major modes are not
supposed to do that.  A nil argument was not designed to be used that
way and you said:

   I just looked for all the calls to font-lock-add-keywords in Emacs.
   In no case does any major mode call font-lock-add-keywords directly,
   or even fairly directly.