Re: org-mode and mode hooks.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: org-mode and mode hooks.
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 08:04:39 -0400

      Why not have
       define-global-minor-mode automatically arrange to save the value in
       that variable?

    Because we have to know in which major mode the minor mode was
    enabled.  That could easily happen behind define-global-minor-mode's
    back, by using the non-global variant.

I think I understand that.  But...

      In effect, we know of at least
    two examples of major modes that do this, comint-mode and
    interactive-sql-mode.

This makes no sense to me.  I thought you were talking about minor
modes and what they need to do.  Now you have switched to major modes.
I cannot follow the change of subject.  Meanwhile, you have not
finished the explanation.

Anyway, how about if we change define-minor-mode so that it generates
the code to record which major mode enabled it?