Re: non-break-space in tutorial

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: non-break-space in tutorial
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:07:25 +0300

Juri Linkov wrote:
> > In a French locale, C-h T shows the French tutorial which includes
> > some NBSP chars which are rendered as "\ " as in "m\ emacs\ <Entrée>".
> > The \ are clearly undesirable here.
>
> [...]
>
> A better indication for non-breaking spaces and hyphens is the same
> as for whitespace highlighting enabled with show-trailing-whitespace,
> i.e. displaying non-breaking spaces and hyphens in a special face
> with a non-default background color without adding \.

This is exactly what I did in my Wikipedia mode before escaping was
added to Emacs.  And I'm too unsatisfied with escaping, so after it
appeared, I made `show-nonbreak-escape' locally set to nil in all my
buffers and kept the custom highlighting.

I think `show-nonbreak-escape' should be nil by default.  However,
this has been discussed already and RMS will probably not be willing
to change it.

Paul