vc-next-action not behaving

From: David Abrahams
Subject: vc-next-action not behaving
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 21:10:33 -0400

In recent CVS builds of emacs (on NT), when I do `C-x v v' on an
*unmodified* file under version control, and I get:

  File is edited but read-only; making it writable
  File is under version-control; use C-x v v to check in/out

The file was  *not* edited, but emacs seems confused about that.  I
know I went through this with emacs and vc years ago; I just changed
machines and it's happening again.  Kept my .emacs and my .cvsrc, so I
can't imagine what the problem is.

If I subsequently edit the file and then do `C-x v u' the file
reverts, but I am left with a writable file where I previously had a
read-only file.  I have CVSREAD=1 in my environment.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem?

Thanks,
--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting