On a lighter tone...

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: On a lighter tone...
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 15:47:54 +0200

...and I'm not speaking of font colors :)

Perusing my quote list today I've found a few Emacs-related, mostly
taken from threads in this list or the gnu.emacs.help newsgroup. I
thought you people would find them funny, now that you've surely
forgotten them. (If you don't find this message funny, just do M-x
next-relevant-message; thankyou.)

My personal favourite is the one by Richard and Eli, but the
Stefan/Miles/Kai one is also great.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

  "Is it legal for a `struct interval' to have a total_length field of
zero?"
  "We can't be arrested for it as far as I know, but it is definitely
invalid for an interval to have zero length."
                        -- Miles Bader and RMS, in address@hidden

Re: lost argument and doc string
I remember when I lost an argument.  Boy did that hurt!  ;-).
                        -- RMS, in address@hidden

  "'Cowardly' is not an adverb, although it looks like one. It is an
adjective. It makes a statement about general temperament, rather than
a specific occasion. I don't think Emacs has a general temperament."
  "Mine does."
                      -- RMS and Eli Zaretskii, in address@hidden

  "In order to bring the user's attention to the minibuffer when an
item such as "Edit -> Search" is activated from the menu, I was just
thinking that we could draw a big rectangle around the minibuffer,
blinking (or zooming in-and-out) until some input is typed in."
  "How about dancing elephants?"
  "They don't fit in my office."
  "Well once the elephants are done, your office will be much...
bigger."
                  -- Stefan Monnier, Miles Bader and Kai Grossjohann,
                                              in address@hidden

I remember these versions as yard-rocks (is that between inch-pebbles
and mile-stones?).
                           -- Kai Grossjohann, in address@hidden

  "I think it depends on video drivers. I cannot reproduce it on my
home PC, but I can at work."
  "Can you try to find a workaround at work? (I guess you don't need a
homearound at home. ;-)"
                       -- Jason Rumney and RMS, in address@hidden

By the way, I also really really hate this unibyte/multibyte problem.
Sometimes I think I should have opposed to the introduction of such a
concept more strongly.

    imagine there's no unibyte
    it's easy if you try
    no bytes below us
    above us only chars
    imagine all the people living in multibyte

                             -- Kenichi Handa, in address@hidden

I try to uphold the ideals that I was taught to value as an American,
but every year I get less and less help from the United States.
                                      -- RMS, in address@hidden

All sufficiently interesting programs are eventually reimplemented as
Emacs subsystems.
                                   -- Tim Bradshaw, in comp.lang.lisp

What is immortality to emacs but another mode?
                        -- thi, in comp.emacs

OSs and GUIs come and go, only Emacs has lasting power.
                                     -- Per Abrahamsen

What would be exceedingly cool would be if companies like Be and
Microsoft and Apple would take it upon themselves to maintain the
Emacs ports to their respective systems... I mean, shouldn't every OS
ship with Emacs? Isn't failure to ship with Emacs an admission that
your system isn't meant for serious use, that it's a toy?
                      -- Jonadab the Unsightly One, in gnu.emacs.help

The emacs that can be learned is not the true emacs.
             -- Alain Picard, in alt.religion.emacs