Re: Bootstrap fails on w32

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Bootstrap fails on w32
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 23:54:42 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>>Did you run "cvs update -kb" in the emacs/nt directory, as recommended
>>>by the INSTALL file in there?
>>>

>> Eh..., no. I totally forgot that. Thanks.
>>
>> BTW why is this not done in the repository?
>
> Because the files are not binary, so we lose most of CVS's
> functionality by labelling them as binary. I generally keep two
> copies of the nt directory checked out. One checked out with -kb for
> compiling with, and one checked out normally for checking in any
> changes I make, or doing diffs etc.

Stupid question: why are the files stored into the repository with DOS
line endings?  It would appear obvious to me that as long as they are
marked as text, they should be checked in with text file endings.  And
that means \n on Unix, and \r\n on Windows.  We currently have \r\n on
Unix and \r\r\n on Windows.  That does not help anybody.