Re: how to display the NEWS file

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: how to display the NEWS file
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 05:16:14 -0400

    Hmm, what do you think about using `*', `**', `***', etc. in the
    document itself, but Emacs displays asterisks as `+' if the outline is
    hidden, and as `-' if it is expanded.

A feature to display buffers in this way could be a useful one, but I
think it would be better to choose the actual buffer text to make it
as natural and easy as possible--not stick with a buffer format that
was designed for another purpose.

If someone would like to work on implementing this, please do,
but I don't think we should install it until after the coming release.