Re: called by a process filter?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: called by a process filter?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 15:58:17 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Doesn't the following work?
>
>> (defvar in-my-filter-p nil)
>
>> (defun my-filter (proc text)
>>   (let ((in-my-filter-p t))
>>     ...))
>
>> (defun my-after-change-function ()
>>   (if in-my-filter-p
>
> No, because the after-change-function is generic

I would expect it to be buffer local, and as such, it would only be
triggered by filter functions that update that buffer.

>                                                  and doesn't know about all
> the various filter functions it might interact with (which it'd have to
> tweak with defadvice in order to do what you suggest).

Of course, if the after-change-function _is_ generic, that would be
necessary.

> My guess is that after-change-function is the wrong place to do what the OP
> wants to do.

It does indeed seem odd that the after-change-function need to know
what command made the change...