Re: address@hidden: grep fontification problem]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: grep fontification problem]
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 14:36:15 -0400

    In 2004/04/05 we started a thread about highlighting grep buffer, the
    code mentioned there uses the ansi codes of grep and activates the
    `ansi-color-apply-on-region'.

    This solution is partially acceptable, will work for most of the users,
    but will fail for non GNU Grep,

Do other grep versions do this highlighting at all?

     I cannot customize it in Emacs which is
    bad in my opinion because may not look good in all displays and every
    once grep changes their code, we have to make sure it will not break our
    solution and it will still be highlighting correctly.

No, we don't have to do this.  If GNU grep changes and breaks this,
we just have to tell the grep maintainer is a bug.

This solution is imperfect, but better than nothing.
Does anyone have a better solution to suggest?