Re: Relation with package authors (CPerl-mode follow-ups)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Relation with package authors (CPerl-mode follow-ups)
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 10:08:13 -0400

> I've been recently in touch with Ilya Zakharevich (CPerl-mode author)
> about Cperl-mode bugs I found in current version from Emacs CVS
> trunk (version 5).

Please post them here.

> He was kind to take a look at them and found out those bugs have
> already been fixed in 5.0 (I do confirm) and decided to stop
> investigating further. This means changes to the CVS version lead
> to regressions.  Now, I'm left alone with my bugs.

What makes you think so?  Obviously someone else than Ilya must have caused
the changes between Ilya's version and Emacs's and it's quite likely
he/she's reading this mailing-list.

> It appears that there is a big delta between his original version and the
> CVS version.

Not that big, really.

> Why patches to Cperl-mode have never been sent back to him?
> Isn't he meant to be the author of the mode?

There was a disagreement about what the code should look like (I don't know
the specifics but my understanding is that Richard wanted some changes that
Ilya rejected), so his version and the Emacs version are not the same.
I do send him every patch I apply to Emacs's cperl-mode.el.

        Stefan