Re: Tex-mode binding of C-return

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Tex-mode binding of C-return
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 10:02:26 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> C-return is such a "good command", analogue to C-SPC for the
>> normal mark.
>
> I don't find C-return a particularly good choice (especially since it
> doesn't work on ttys).

Neither does S-return...    Does C-space work on ttys?

> Is the idea that to kill a rectangle you could do
>
>    C-RET C-SPC .... M-w

Just do:
     C-RET ... M-w

> or equivalently
>
>    C-SPC ... C-RET ... M-w

That works, yes, changing the normal mark to
a rectangle mark.

>                         But to tell you the truth, it's hard to judge
> without the whole context (i.e. what would be the interface for that
> new rectangle handling thingy?).

Try this:

- Open some text in a buffer

- M-x cua-mode RET

- Place the cursor on the top left corner of "a" rectangle.

- S-return

- move to cursor to bottom right corner of that rectangle,
  using C-f, C-b, C-n, C-p or any other normal cursor movement.

- C-w

- Move somewhere else in the buffer

- C-y

I'm suggesting to use C-return instead of S-return to toggle the
rectangle mark, just like C-space toggles the normal mark.

>> Do tex users really use C-return ?
>
> At least I don't.

Good :-)