Re: Can't isearch 'ö'

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Can't isearch 'ö'
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:31:08 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

>     We (me and Stefan) has already shown opinions and solutions
>     to the problem.  Richard, could you please decide what to
>     do?

> I have not been reading these messages, because they were numerous and
> long.  Now that there are two proposals, would you please show me the
> two proposals, each described clearly from scratch in one message?

The original problem was that when a user have `ö' of
iso-8859-15 in a buffer of iso-8859-15 coding system, he
can't isearch that character by typing `ö' on his keyboard
because that key is recognized as `ö' of iso-8859-1.

Stefan's proposal is to translate a character by
translation-table-for-input in read_char ().  This is a
generic solution, but it makes read_char () return different
character depending on the buffer-file-coding-system of the
current buffer, which may or may not cause anther problem.

My proposal is to translate a character by
translate-table-for-input in isearch-process-search-char.
This is a limitted solution only for the current problem.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden