Re: Fontification of citations in mail-Mode

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Fontification of citations in mail-Mode
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:04:58 +0200

>> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>>
>> Anyway, I don't see any reason why cited text should be fontified.

It makes a lot of sense to me.  It just makes it so much easier to
write longer responses (which I know RMS doesn't do very often :-)

Now, I use message-mode rather than mail-mode, so as long as the
change is specific to mail-mode, I don't care too much.

>                                   I really don't think we should
> disable that fontification now just because you happen to dislike it.

Agree!

> Failing that, here's a suggestion for a more complicated solution:
> define special faces for Mail mode, so that they could be customized
> without affecting general-purpose faces such as comment face.

Message mode already has numerous faces to play with...

I fail to see the rationale for extending mail-mode, when we
already have another mode that DTRT...

Why don't we simply promote message-mode, and deprecate mail-mode.

Would (defalias 'mail-mode 'message-mode) work?