Incompatible change without "warning"

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Incompatible change without "warning"
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:53:14 +1200

 > I see that on 2005-4-18 the tooltip-use-echo-area was renamed to
 > tooltip-gud-echo-area. This change breaks existing code
 > (semantic). Isn't it common practise to first deprecate a variable
 > before deleting it? And shouldn't this make it into NEWS?

I've replaced it as an alias. As it was obscure and partly broken I thought
that I could sneak the change through unnoticed.

To emacs-devel:

How about adding an optional argument to defvaralias so that:

(defvaralias 'tooltip-use-echo-area 'tooltip-gud-echo-area)
(make-obsolete-variable 'tooltip-use-echo-area 'tooltip-gud-echo-area "22.1")

can be written as:

(defvaralias 'tooltip-use-echo-area 'tooltip-gud-echo-area nil "22.1")

Nick