Re: Possible change to startup.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Possible change to startup.el
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:49:52 -0400

    For example, AUCTeX has an option that will enable the use of Unicode
    math characters in menus.  How can I know when to enable it by
    default?  I need to know for every platform that Emacs might be
    running on, and this might even depend on your settings for the menu
    font and the locale.

The interface that has been proposed is defined so as to make complete
informatoin available about what is or isn't supported.  That makes
it so complex to implement--to complex to be considered for now, and
undesirable even for later.

AUCTeX needs *some* information.  Could it be satisfied with less?
What is the minimum, simplest, information that could be enough?