Re: Stealth fontification GCs a lot

From: Aidan Kehoe
Subject: Re: Stealth fontification GCs a lot
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:24:53 +0200

 Ar an triú lá déag de mí Aibréan, scríobh Richard Stallman:

 >     The problem is that I've never noticed any positive effect of stealth
 >     fontification, whereas any setting, no matter how low will eat up my
 >     battery for no good reason.
 >
 > Aside from the peculiar AUCTeX issue, does anyone see a benefit in
 > stealth fontification?  Is the idea that it avoids delays when you move
 > to other parts of the buffer, because they've been fontified while
 > you were on the phone?

I use and appreciate stealth fontification, because while I care about
different portions of my source files appearing with different colours based
on their syntactic functions, I care *much more* about seeing those source
files *immediately,* when I open the file in question, because there’s a
very good chance I opened the file just to see its contents. As such,
stealth fontification allows me to have both fontification and immediate
text display.

--
“I, for instance, am gung-ho about open source because my family is being
held hostage in Rob Malda’s basement. But who fact-checks me, or Enderle,