Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:28:37 -0500 (CDT)

Nick Roberts wrote:

   I recently changed tooltip-mode to a minor-mode which previously used a
   function and a variable and keywords like:

     :initialize 'custom-initialize-default

   Have I created problems for customize here?

No, I believe the problem was already there before that change.
There are many customizable variables with similar problems.

Do `emacs -q', then `M-x customize-rogue'.

All the variables you see there suffer from the bug that if you
choose "Erase Customization" in Custom, they get reset to a wrong
(sometimes very wrong) default.  I guess we should try to fix as many
of them as possible before the release.

This problem occurs whenever code run at startup changes the value
given in the defcustom.  That should not happen.  The value an option
has by default should be identical to the value one gets by evaluating
the defcustom.

I will fix this for tooltip-mode.

Sincerely,

Luc.