Re: Face specifications in font-lock-keywords.

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Face specifications in font-lock-keywords.
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:58:55 +0200

* Stefan Monnier (2005-04-07) writes:

>>> It's probably discussed in the section talking about faces.
>>> It's not specific to font-lock at all.
>
>> In the section about faces there is a subsection about face
>> attributes.
>
> OK, I was wrong: since it's not a feature of faces but of the `face' text
> property, it's mentioned in (info "(elisp)Special Properties").
>
> I don't particularly like this feature, so I see no need to advertise it
> more.

I cannot say that I like or dislike it, but in fact AUCTeX is already
using it in order to allow a user to specify lists of LaTeX macros
which should get a special fontification.  For the special
fontification one can either select a face already present or specify
face attributes.  Without the possibility to use face attributes the
choices would be rather limited if you don't expect a user to define
his own faces.

I hope this feature will stay and mentioning it in the documentation
for `font-lock-keywords' would make me feel more confident that it
will.

--
Ralf