Re: comint-prompt-regexp

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: comint-prompt-regexp
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 12:24:00 +0900

On Apr 7, 2005 10:55 AM, Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> wrote:
> I propose the following doc change to comint.el.  The reasons are
> the same as for the similar change I proposed to the
> shell-prompt-pattern docstring.   I know of at least two modes, shell
> and ielm, that use `comint-prompt-regexp' even if
> `comint-use-prompt-regexp-instead-of-fields' is nil.

It might be good to mention shell-mode explicitly -- I think in most
cases where a derived mode does something like that, it also sets the
prompt regexp to something suitable for that mode.

In general, is this variable even a useful thing for users to
customize?  Shouldn't they be customizing the corresponding variable
for a derived mode instead, as comint-mode is never used "raw"?

Maybe it should simply be a defvar instead of a defcustom.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.