Re: address@hidden: bibtex-generate-url-list enhancement]

From: Jochen Küpper
Subject: Re: address@hidden: bibtex-generate-url-list enhancement]
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:16:08 +0200

Roland Winkler <address@hidden> writes:

>> Maybe the following enhanced definition can be put into emacs'
>> bibtex.el:
[...]

> Thanks a lot for these suggestions. However, I hesitate to put these
> changes into bibtex.el. It appears to me that the above value for
> bibtex-generate-url-list reflect your personal preferences so that
> they should go into the personal .emacs:

Well, there they are already;)

Generally I can follow your argumentation quite well. I thought that
generally we could help users a lot on the convenience side, however
do I not wanna overrule users of slow computers.

A few remaining remarks:

> - The default values for user variables in bibtex.el reflect the
> usage of BibTeX as a bibliography database for LaTeX documents. To
> the best of my knowledge, neither URLs nor DOIs are required for
> LaTeX documents.

Not required, but URL is used by natbib and therefore quite common. It
really does not hurt anybody, but it helps a large number of people.
Anyway, it is supported by bibtex.el already.

That does not hold for DOI, and although I think that would actually
be the right approach (instead of URL), I have no convincing arguments
for it.

>   The default value for bibtex-generate-url-list is an example for
>   how to use this variable.

Ok, here the problem starts. If you follow your own argumentation, you
should probably remove all the journal stuff from there and move them
into the documentation. To me the current status looked like the
beginning of a long list, where I thought I start to send in a few
more entries. I'd say it is really all or none; with respect to "slow
systems" it should be none then.

Maybe it would be useful to define variables ala
  bibtex-generate-url-list-chemistry
  bibtex-generate-url-list-history
  bibtex-generate-url-list-math
  bibtex-generate-url-list-physics
  bibtex-generate-url-list-philosophy
and then let users plug them into bibtex-generate-url-list as they wish?

Another question: I have a function, defined as below, which gets me a
PDF from my private archive based on the entry's key (Not a "key = {}"
item, but the actual "@Article{key," value.). Is there a way to hook
that into the bibtex-generate-url machinery?
,----
| (defvar jk/bibtex-pdf-location (concat jk/home-dir "/PDF"))
| (defvar jk/bibtex-pdf-viewer "acroread" "PDF viewer")
| (defun jk/bibtex-view-pdf ()
|   "*Open PDF from archive.
|
| This function determines the filename corresponding to the current entry and
| opens the associated file form the archive.
| "
|   (interactive)
|   (save-excursion
|     (bibtex-narrow-to-entry)
|     (bibtex-beginning-of-entry)
|     (let ((name (substring (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-min)
(point-max))
|                            (+ 1 (string-match "{" (buffer-string)))
(string-match "," (buffer-string)))))
|       (subst-char-in-string (string-to-char ":") (string-to-char "_") name t)
|       (message (concat "Opening " jk/bibtex-pdf-viewer " "
jk/bibtex-pdf-location "/" name ".pdf..."))
|       (start-process-shell-command "acroread" nil
|                                    (concat jk/bibtex-pdf-viewer " "
|                                            jk/bibtex-pdf-location "/"
(substring name 0 1) "/"
|                                            name ".pdf&"))
|       (message ""))
|     (widen)))
| (eval-after-load "bibtex" '(define-key bibtex-mode-map [(control v)]
'jk/bibtex-view-pdf))
`----

Anyway, I do appreciate the improvements to bibtex.el a lot.
Thanks for your work!

Greetings,
Jochen

PS: Yes, I am practically a physicist -- no, not by training;)
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)