Re: Sensible menu bindings

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Sensible menu bindings
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:31:00 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> I recently suggested patches to report menu bindings using the real
>>> menu item texts rather than the internal names, like this:
>>
>>>       File=>Print=>Print With Faces
>>
>> I agree it would be an improvement.  But IIRC you did it by
>> modifying key-description, which also applies to things like C-h c
>> where I think it's important to keep a representation that can be
>> passed directly to `kbd'.
>
> How do you copy/paste the output from C-h c?  From *Messages* buffer?
>
> With C-h k, you get a buffer from which you can copy the original menu
> binding -- and with my patch, that binding is still shown for C-h k
> (see example below).
>
>> So I'd recommend to add an arg to key-description and then only use
>> it at those places where it makes sense (basically, for the keys
>> returned by `where-is').
>
> With my patch, (key-description KEY t) will do just that.
> Making C-h c using that is trivial (I already did so).
>
> Anyway, Richard don't think this is an improvement, so
> unless more people speak up, it's a dead end.

I think it is an improvement since we are talking here mainly about
user-level instead of programmer-accessible documentation.  With
regard to the duplication of information: how feasible would it be to
make kbd accept File=>Print=>Print With Faces strings?  Then there
would be no necessity to report a different form.