Re: Putting auto-image-file-mode in Options menu

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Putting auto-image-file-mode in Options menu
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:01:12 -0500

    The case where image-mode isn't equivalent is where you use
    `insert-file' to insert an image -- auto-image-file will cause the
    inserted text to be covered with the image, but image-mode won't do
    anything (unless the user invokes it afterwards, and then it will only
    work if the image is the sole text in the buffer).

    I can't imagine that this distinction matters for programmatic use --
    it would be just as easy, and maybe more straight-forward to call a
    dedicated `insert-image-file' function.

Rather than an insert-image-file function, I think the best thing to
recommend is, "Visit the image file, then copy it in the form you
prefer."  That is natural, and requires no additional commands or
knowledge.