Re: Interfacing ActiveX/COM-objects "natively" in Emacs

From: Peter Lee
Subject: Re: Interfacing ActiveX/COM-objects "natively" in Emacs
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:28:43 -0600

    > I have needed to access different COM-objects, and the only way
    > to do that seems to be by using an external program, in my case
    > cscript.exe, the command-line VBScript interpreter.

Have a look at http://www.gnusoftware.com/Emacs/Com/

A few years ago I was looking for a way to do similar things.  At the
time I wanted to spawn devstudio help on a word within an emacs
buffer... similar to hitting F1 within devstudio.

I looked at the COM patch and it seemed flaky...

I ended up using http://www.gnusoftware.com/Emacs/Dynamic/ and simply
creating a method to make the COM calls from within the plug-in dll.
It worked pretty well for what I was trying to do... namely the
automation of msdn viewer, but it wasn't very flexible.  Adding
support for a new component required a recompile of the plug-in.  Also
I like to use cvs emacs, so everytime I updated I would have to
remember to apply the patch as well... which only lasted a few months.

I'm sure you could do something similar... making it more generic.
Could probably do that by using dispinterfaces and named parms.