Re: Interfacing ActiveX/COM-objects "natively" in Emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Interfacing ActiveX/COM-objects "natively" in Emacs
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:48:43 +0200

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:18:49 +0200
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> it has already been decided that Emacs will not get a
>> generic interface to call binary modules, in order not to make it
>> legally feasible to employ it as a tightly coupled component in
>> basically unfree systems.
>
> Richard will have the definitive answer, but I don't think this
> applies to standard components of the OS.

Not all ActiveX controls are standard components of the OS unless I am
mistaken (which, given that I don't know Windows at all, might very
well be the case).  "ActiveX" is, I think, just an interface, like
DLLs or dynamic libraries are.  What component will actually be
accessed through that interface is a different question.

One of the most prevalent use for ActiveX controls these days seem to
be virus and Trojan horses, and they, though quite in open
distribution, don't usually meet either the free software or the
operating system component description.