Re: Auto-fill-mode bug: unbreakable space lost

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Auto-fill-mode bug: unbreakable space lost
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:52:47 -0500

    I second that. May be we should define the shift space (S-SPC) key to
    produce the non-breaking space in the current charset (I did it for
    Hebrew - iso8859-8).

That could be a good idea, but it could also conceivably cause
problems.  Maybe some people type spaces while holding down the shift
key and expect it to be an ordinary space (such as, between words that
are all caps).

I don't know whether this will turn out to be a real problem or not.
I just see that it could be one.

    You can use C-x 8 SPC and C-x 8 - to produce these characters, which
    together with unify-8859-on-encoding-mode (which is the default) gives you
    the right characters for your charset.

I was thinking that C-x 8 is obsolete, but if this is the best way to
do that, maybe it means C-x 8 is not obsolete.  What do people think?