Re: Menu again.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Menu again.
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:21:14 +0100

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>>Now anybody with half a brain should be able to figure out that since
>>"this buffer" does not exist in the next Emacs session, there is
>>nothing to save here.  While in the long run, I don't think Emacs will
>>appeal to people without the ability to think straight, it might
>>perhaps be prudent to remove this particular option, which is the only
>>one that only applies to "this buffer" in the Options menu, as far as
>>I can see.
>>

> Its also one of the only options that I ever find the need to change
> once I've set up Emacs with my preferred options.

Of course.  Because you can't save this "preferred option".  All
options that you can save usually don't need changing once you set
them up.  I am not arguing that the option is without use, I am just
arguing that its presence in the Options menu, as a buffer-specific
option, in the position it is in, is confusing.  And that this
confusion has been cited to me in a Usenet group as an example that
Emacs does not offer a coherent user interface.

The order of "Save Options" and "Customize Emacs" is presumably
interchanged to make it clear to people that Customized options will
not get saved.  And neither is "Truncate Long Lines in this Buffer",
and it is right in the middle of the options that _are_ saved.