Re: Info: Why is "note" hidden by "see"?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Info: Why is "note" hidden by "see"?
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:24:52 +0900

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:19:42 +0100, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> If info formats the text and replaces "*note" with something else, it
> can [expletive deleted] well equip it with some text property or
> similar for finding the cross reference.  This would actually speed up
> the cross reference finding.  No need to foul up search for other
> modes.

This is certainly an "after release" thing, but FWIW, I definitely
agree.  Display properties are simply not handled well enough by Emacs
to ever be completely satisfactory in the way they are used in info
(despite Kim's heroic efforts to make things work).

I think simply rewriting the actual text in the buffer would be a big
improvement, and doing so would likely simplify and clean-up the info
code as well.

The current code is good enough for the release, despite its warts,
but this seems a nice project for afterwards.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.