Re: generic-x needs to require generic

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: generic-x needs to require generic
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:22:26 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> What is the purpose of the following change to generic-x, which breaks
> bootstrapping:
>
>       * generic-x.el: Don't prevent compilation.  Don't require generic.
>       Follow coding conventions.  Minor code cleanup.
>
> I am referring to the "Don't require generic." part.  Undoing that
> part solves the following problem during bootstrapping:

The function generic-make-keywords-list that is called in generic-x is
defined in generic. So it should probably be autoloaded.
Alternatively generic-x could (eval-when-compile (require 'generic))
and (eval-when-compile ...) all calls to generic-make-keywords-list as
well.

I missed this because bootstrapping my working-tree worked just fine.
I also did an update for another tree without the generic{,-x}.el
patches and it bootstrapped fine.  A clean checkout fails to
bootstraps however.

This is quite strange.  I guess that for me the define-generic-mode
calls in generic-x that precede the generic-make-keywords-list call
autoload generic so that generic is loaded when the call to
generic-make-keywords-list is compiled.  Why this doesn't happen for
you of for a clean checkout beats me.

I'll put (require 'generic) back in for now to enable bootstrapping.

Lute.