Re: file-name-shadow-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: file-name-shadow-mode
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:13:13 -0500

> beginning of the define-minor-mode expansion.  Otherwise, setting
> :initialize to something else but `custom-initialize-default' is
> probably not going to work for minor modes defined with
> `define-minor-mode'.  (It definitely does not work with the current
> code.)

I think it's OK that way.  Last time we had a discussion around this, it
became clear to me that the :init value should *describe* the state you
get when loading the file, rather than *decide* it.

This is because if the minor mode's code needs to be run to properly set the
value, you can't run it safely before the whole file is loaded (since the
minor mode's code might call functions defined further down in the file).

So I think it's best to keep the :init value at nil and then elsewhere
do a customize-set-variable (in startup.el, in loadup.el, or even at the
end of rfn-shadow.el).  That's the cleaner solution.

        Stefan