Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:20:43 +0100

>     Now that Richard has changed M-g to be a prefix key, can we
>     implement this plan?
>
> I would rather put this aside until after the release.

Discussing the full population of this binding, I might agree here.
However, part of this proposal was due to C-x ` being very burdensome
to type on many international keyboards.  I don't think it makes sense
to introduce M-g as a prefix without populating at least those slots
which have made this proposal compelling.

So I think that the next release should at the very least contain the
(rather uncontentious) M-g M-p, M-g p, M-g M-n and M-g n bindings.
All the rest is nice in various degrees, but those seem rather
essential.

> I would like a small group to organize to make a plan
> for what to do with M-g, and discuss the question outside
> of this list.  Would those who want to do this please do so?

I'd be willing to participate in such an off-list discussion if it
proves necessary or beneficial.  Let's raise the bar by demanding that
anybody discussing it should also be willing to implement his
proposals including documentation.  Since we are talking about
functionality that seems quite convenient to the average user, this
includes the help sheets which probably should be checked for accuracy
before release, anyhow, requiring speakers of different languages.